Message from Dr. Kyung Lee, NIH-KSA
I write to see if you could draw the attention of the members of your organization to the following symposium. While the symposium is organized by the Korean Scientist Association at NIH (NIH-KSA), any graduate students and postdoctoral fellows in the region are welcome to attend. Please feel free to distribute this as you see fit and encourage them to submit an abstract to Dr. Jaewoo Choi, vice-president of NIH-KSA, for an oral presentation. Let me know should you have any questions.
Dr. Kyung Lee, President of NIH-KSA
Dr. Jaewoo Choi, Vice-president of NIH-KSA
오는 11월 9일에 NIH-KSA 주체로 개최되는 제 11회 생명과학/공학 학회에 여러분을 초대합니다.
아래 스케줄에 보시는 것과 같이, 저명하신 네 분의 연설과 NIH및 이 지역 과학자들의 새로운 연구 발표 (20 short talk) 이 있을 예정입니다.
작년과 달리 이번 년에는 우수한 Abstract/발표자는 임종식 박사상($1,000) and KAPAL Award 과 더불어, 더 많은 분들께 Abstract Award상이 수여될 예정이니 , 여러분의 많은 참여 부탁드립니다.
Short talk 연자로 발표하고자 하시는 분들은 10월6일까지 Abstract을 제출 하여 주시길 바랍니다!
Time: Sat Nov 9th, 2019 (8:00AM-5:30pm)
Place: Univ, of MD, Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology Research,
9600 Gudlesky Dr, Rockbille, MD, 20850
8:00-9:00 Registration and breakfast
9:00 Welcome remarks: NIH-KSA president
9:05 Welcome remarks: Korean embassy
9:10-10:00 Keynote Session I: Prof. Hongkun Park, Harvard University
Title: A Nanoscientist’s Journey to Biomedical Research
10:00-11:00 Bioscience Session I (5 short talks 10 min talk with 2 min Q & A)
11:00-11:10 Coffee break
11:10-12:10 Bioscience Session II (5 short talks, 10 min talk with 2 min Q & A)
12:10-1:30 Lunch (Table talk for career discussions)
· Dr. Sue Goo Rhee, NHLBI/NIH, Former distinguished professor of Ewha Womans Univ and Yonsei Univ and First National Honor Scientist of Korea
· Dr. Chan-Mo Park, Chancellor, PyongYang Univ. of Science and Technology, N. Korea and Former President of POSTECH
· Dr. Hee-Yong Kim, NIAAA/NIH, Chief, Laboratory of Molecular Signaling
· Prof. Eun-Suk Seo, Univ. of Maryland, Department of Physics.
· Dr. Luke Oh, President of Korean-American Professional Association in Life Sciences
· Dr. Namcheol Kim, U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention
· Dr. Sang M. Chung, US Food and Drug Administration
· Dr. Youngsul Jeong, US Patent and Trademark Office
1:30-2:15 Keynote Session 2: Dr. John Schiller, NIH distinguished investigator, NCI/NIH
Title: HPV virus-like particles: Nature’s nanoparticles for prevention and treatment of cancer
2:15-3:15 Bioscience session III (5 short talks, 10 min talk with 2 min Q & A)
3:15-3:25 Coffee break
3:25-4:25 Bioengineering session I (5 talks, 10 min talk with 2 min Q & A)
Chair: Dr. Donghun Park, Univ. of Maryland
4:25-4:55 Keynote Session 3: Dr. Johng Shik Rhim, Former Associate director, Center for Prostate Disease Research, USUHS
Title: Advances in human cell models for the study of cancer: 50 years of human cell transformation
4:55-5:15 Special session: Dr. Chan-Mo Park, Chancellor, PyongYang Univ. of Science and Technology, N. Korea and Former President of POSTECH
Title: How computers changed my life
5:15-5:30 Awards and closing remarks
6:00 ABES dinner